Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Taking a break again from this paper

So I am pretty much halfway through this paper. Which I guess is a lie. It took me over a month to get here, so I really only have a fraction of that time left. So I'm almost done. But really, I'm so out of touch with writing papers that it was the getting started that was the hardest for me. I went through about 5 topics before settling one one/a blend of them. But it's going alright I guess. I am quite literally 3 pages into it and it's supposed to be 6 pages, I think.

Anyways, I figured I'd take a break and do something. I guess I don't really know what I want to write about so I'll write about....cameras! I've been browsing cameras and I got to thinking that I want a camera that will not only last a few years physically, but one that will be on the leading curve that is the technology industry. The main thing I was thinking about was the tech that I don't actually know the name of. I want to say geotagging, but I dunno. Basically it's where the camera, in addition to the image data it already has, date/time stuff, it records the location of the picture. this would be sweet on road trips or just cool mapping ideas for later. In looking at cameras I didn't see this feature, so I'm pretty sure it's only high end stuff for now. But something to look into.
Another thing is the wireless SD cards that you can use in place of a memory card. I think the idea is that it can connect to a wireless network and upload the pictures somewhere. Again, I should have looked into this all before blogging about it. But that's what happens this early in the morning. I haven't written a paper in college without staying up all night, just to let you know. That's how I did it last year and here I am again.

Also, I set up a tracking thing for the blog, it's the thing at the bottom of the pages, and it was cool to see macalester and italy show up as locations for connections. So, I guess I've gone global. Sweetballs.

3 comments:

  1. Geotagging is exactly that. The camera has a GPS built in, and tags the pictures taken with GPS coordinates. This allows for things like the images you can find on Google Maps, etc.

    I've heard of wireless SD cards, but I didn't know they could be used that way. The ways I've seen them used were just to allow something with an SD card slot to connect to the internet (PDAs come to mind)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha.

    I don't think I count as going global.

    I get these hilarious ads on the side of my screen that tell me that I have have a U.S. passport for only 60,000 Euro or I have been selected as a green card candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jake: There is a SD card, the Eye-Fi that uses wireless networks to geohash. It's the same network that iphones use.
    http://store.eye.fi/store/eyefisub/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.109432000

    ReplyDelete