I'm working on streaming video to mobile devices for my internship at Thomson Reuters. And I have been focusing on the iPhone while my intern-at-crime is taking a lot of the BlackBerry work. In my week here I've seen that Apple is not the nicest company to develop for as a third party. Here is a quick history lesson. The iPhone came out in June 2007, with no real ability for third parties to write applications. In response, people turned their phones into an open source platform on which that could develop apps. This platform was the open source SDK (software development kit), which had all the things you needed to make an app. In 2008, Apple released their SDK and the App store, so third parties could make apps and sell them. The problem is that Apple's SDK is missing or locked out 25% of the open source SDK, meaning that developers weren't getting access to all the available tools. The documentation for making apps is missing all this extra information, although it is still in the code. Any application that uses these codes is blocked from the app store. Now, Apple is releasing the iPhone OS 3.0 with a larger SDK, which they say has 1,000 new APIs (things you can use to make an application). I call BS and say that these 1,000 "new" APIs were always there and they are just making them public to seem like they are rewarding the developers. These APIs should have been available with the first SDK if not the release of the phone. Apple is controlling what and how people use their software and hardware and I don't think people know how constrained the system is. Without all the nonsense, I think the quality and creativeness of applications would soar. I'm not saying Apple should go open source or give full access to third parties, I just think they should trust them.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Why shouldn't Apple give full access to third parties? Shouldn't users be able to either write or install applications that use the hardware to the full extent that it's capable? Users buy the hardware, and pay a premium price to use it on the networks, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to use it the way they want.
ReplyDeleteI'm not advocating Apple go open source (although that'd be nice), but I do think that the level of control that Apple feels the need to have over it's devices is very excessive.