Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bus fare and frugality

Now that it's February, it's time to throw away last months bus pass and go get a new one, or is it? Based on last month's bus usage by myself, I figure I would save a few bucks by not buying a monthly pass and going weekly or even per ride in paying. The monthly pass is 79$ which I will round to 80$. The bus fare is 2.50$ a ride with no pass/discount. I can pay for 32 rides with that same 80$ in cash, and so the question is will I ride the bus 32 times in a month? That's 16 round trips somewhere. If I think about it like that, it seems like a realistic amount of places I'd bus to. What I want to add to thought this month is that I end up walking a fair number of places and I have no idea the number of actual trips I take in a month. The pass I have isn't electronic, so there isn't any record of where I was or go, which I like most of the time. So what I'm going to do this month is put 80$ aside in dollars and quarters for ease of use that I spend on the bus. I will use it the whole month and see if I run out or have extra. I'll try and keep extra fare money in my coats and bag so I feel like I always can take the bus, like I can now. Hopefully I'll end up with some extra change and put my mind at ease for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment