Monday, May 18, 2009

Give this Album Your Ears (day one)

For the next three days, I will be telling you what albums you should listen to. That's the deal. I don't know how many albums it will be a day or if you will like them or not, but you should listen to them. I am going to be gone Wednesday night till probably Tuesday going to animal collective then driving to Washington for a music festival. I will be ecstatically happy with music and I don't want to leave anyone out, so this is for you all.

Sigur Ros - ()
This album is a masterpiece and the one that I wanted to do as my next GTAYE post, so what better way to start off a streak of them. The band Sigur Ros is from Iceland and so they sing mostly in Icelandic, but for this album, the words are all in hopelandic, which is a made up language that has no literal meaning. Imagine the quintessential way of having lyrics mean something different to every listener and have every interpretation be unique, well this is it. The album is officially untitled, but there are a set of parenthesis on the cover and it is referred to as the bracket or parenthesis album. All the tracks have no official name as well, so they are referred to as untitled 1, untitled 2, and so on.
I love this album because it is played so wonderfully and composed so thoughtfully. There is almost always a feeling of continuity between each song and most of the vocals are repeated in different songs, but in different ways. The vocals are one of the best parts also in how amazing they are. It sounds cliche, but they are more of an instrument than anything else, but also one of the most emotional instruments possible. The high range of the singer will blow you away for sure.
You should listen to this album preferably in the car. I listened to it yesterday on my way home and it was so loud and amazing. If you don't have an hour plus car ride, then at least try and listen to it all the way through in one sitting. It flows too much to pick up where you left off. A comfortable and relaxing location is also needed. But wherever you are, enjoy it.

Here it is in two zips:
(gig's coffee's internet doesn't like mediafire apparently, so i'll upload the files laters)

No comments:

Post a Comment