On the 20th, I had to send in my resume to be reconsidered for a Thomson internship again, so I did. Then I got an email a few days ago saying that they'd like to call me or something. But before I could reply to that email, I got another one that said I was accepted back for another summer if I wanted it. I have to respond by Feb 4th, next thursday. I don't think I want to go back.
I made a pros and cons list for working there and the biggest plus is the money. But the downsides are 40 hour work weeks, living at home/the cities, and uncertainty if many people will be around. Last summer I pushed the bounds of socializing by staying up to around 2 every night then working at 8:30. It turns out that having friends who aren't working so strictly makes me want to do so less. So I was painfully stressed and falling apart all of summer, I can't stand that again. The difference would be I don't know just how many people will be in the cities during the summer, and if theres not a lot, I might be bored ala summer 2008.
So, given all other options, it seems I don't want to work at Thomson, but what does that leave me? I have thought that doing research would be pretty sweet here in morris with a csci prof, but it seems they're all outta money at this point so no summer opportunities. So I could apply for an nsf grant and go somewehere else in the country for the summer, but that seems less of what I want to do then thomson. So then there's google summer of code, which jake has done and seems like a pretty decent job. Problem is that I'd have to wait to march to even see what jobs there would be through gsoc, and then be awesome enough to get one.
So yeah, if I did gsoc, I could work from most anywhere, coffee shops, roadtrips, basements, anywhere. That is appealing. But if I don't get that, then I've already turned down a good offer. I know what I want to do, I just wish I had a backup before going for it.
Friday, January 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Today I was thinking about the summer and what it will be like if not many people are around and I realized that it doesn't matter that much, because things will happen regardless and I will find someway to make it worthwhile or I will be really bored and go to lots of yoga classes (winterbreak '09). But either way it will be okay.
ReplyDelete