So winter is on it's way. And I live in Minnesota, so it is really starting to show. Our fall is like some cities worst winter. But we deal with it, but not as quietly as I would think. Last year, more than any other I saw what could be described as SAD, seasonal affective disorder. Not really like horrible, but just a long spurt of lower than par happiness. It really hit me when summer came, which is by far my favorite season of them all. Apart from everything that happened last spring, I was just so overjoyed that the sun was warm and people were more friendly.
But spring is gone, and fall is here, and I feel the slight lack of joy setting in. Like, maybe it's just the things I've seen and been thinking about in the past week or two, but I think how happy I am is somewhat brought down by winter. It's beautiful and makes Minnesota what it is and Minnesotans who they are. It partially defines us, our character. We take a sometimes unbearable cold for months and stick it out with a smile on our face. The extremes in this state are amazing. And I do love it to death.
I hope I'm wrong and things get better, just overall. I can't predict what will happen, I gave that up a while ago. I do know that this will be a winter unlike others I've been through, here in Morris the wind chill gets to be 20-30 below whatever the temperature already is. It sucks, and I bike to school. My life, and myself, have changed enough to say this will be different and new, but I feel something else coming. I can't figure if it will make it colder or warmer this winter.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You know what the best way to warm up in winter is?
ReplyDeleteSometimes I don't know if you just like to torture me, or I just misunderstand what you mean. So Colin, what exactly is the best way to warm up in winter?
ReplyDeleteI assume Colin is talking about Hot Chocolate.
ReplyDeleteNo, but seriously, I've found that seeing people, and socializing, helps get rid of the down and out feelings.