Stencils are cool, like really cool. I remember learning about negative space in art classes since 6th grade and I never knew it could be so much fun and such a challenge to only use not only one color, but in such a way that you can't have an unfilled space surrounded by filled space. In stencil art, you're cutting out of paper, and if you cut an O for example, there isn't any white space in the middle, it's paper and just falls out. So you have to be creative in your methods. Using that idea, you get into things like implied shape. That's where you use the stencil to create what the shadow of the object would be, tricking the human eye to then see the object even though it isn't inherently there. I've been trying to get better at stenciling and after looking at a gallery of banksy, a british street stenciler, I now really want to get better at the art. It's something where my lack of painting and drawing skills are augmented with my use of technology and controlled settings. i can create most of a stencil on the computer then print it out and cut it. If I mess up, I just reprint it, no biggy.
I'm always looking for new things to create a stencil out of, if you've seen the helloblacksmith shirt design or the shirt that was last weeks mARTin update, check them out and send me a request. I figure I can stencil most things and get them on a shirt for you for about $7. That depends on how hard the image is to design. But yeah, let me know.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment