Wednesday, February 11, 2009

About as useful as a batter(y)ing ram

So, my computer's battery is broken. Like, messed up broken. I used to get at least two hours out of it and now it died during a one hour class. What the hell happened? I blame Ubuntu. The battery monitor said once that my battery might be broken, but I probably ignored it at the time. So I wanted to test the battery. After Ubuntu shut itself down at the 5% battery level. I booted into windows and was surprised it lasted even ten minutes. Then I looked at the battery level and it was higher than it was in ubuntu. "Hmmm," I said to myself, "what the hell?" So I just ran windows for a bit. After another ten minutes, I wanted to kill the battery, so I opened up itunes, windows media player, and as many programs as I have installed and ready to go. This took it down to 15 pretty fast. But then something strange, it didn't die. It stayed at 1% for 5 minutes, then 0% for 3, then back to 1% for a while. Basically, it got another half an hour of more battery life on what Ubuntu said was 5%. Crazy right? Well yeah, I was crazy mad at this thing.
So I did a full recharge with the computer off and booted ubuntu. Bam! Battery shows at 53%. Wait, what? It's not seeing that it is fully charged. Ubuntu must be reading the battery wrong or the battery's level monitor is wrong. So I drain it again, this time in ubuntu. I turn off the automatic shutdown and was again amazed at how much longer it lasted than before. At 7:35, it showed the battery at 1.5%. At 7:44 it was the same 1.5%. I opened up three videos and ran WoW and a bunch of things. At 7:55 it died. Freaking A man, it's like I have the battery with a bunch of ectra lives hidden or it's a zombie battery.
So I decide to charge it in ubuntu. Start it up and charge it up to 100%. At 10:14 it was at 100% and I unpluged it, with it telling me I'd get a full 2 hours 5 minutes off the charge. It is now 10:30 and it says I have 1 hour 50 minutes left. So basically it is accurate at the moment. I'll post more updates as it gets closer to actually dying.

1 comment: