Okay, so, I've had this idea for a long time and never really put full effort into it. But now that I'm in a class re-learning Java, I feel like I might be able to tackle it. The idea is to create a program that can download guitar tabs off the internet, from sites like ultimate-guitar, and store them in an easy to read format on your computer. The inspiration came origanlly from wanting a crapton of tabs on a flash drive so you can always have songs if you forget chords or words. More inspiration came from wanting a way to display tabs on my iPod using the notes function. The recent inspiration has been the lack of internet at my house. So, that's the basic idea. I started planning the project, but I kind of just wanted to get programming, so I figured I would write this and get some ideas down.
I want to get a way to get tabs downloaded off the internet, which come as htm files, to a plain text file with just the tabs. I've looked at this before and have found that there are lines of html code that indicate the beginning and end of the author's text. Basically run the method with the .htm file's name and it outputs a .txt of just the tab.
I was trying to figure out ultimate-guitar's method for saving tabs and found that their basically like this: http://...guitar.com/tabs/f/fugazi/blueprint_tab.htm. In theory, I could download all of Fugazi's tabs in one go if I could read the tab names from the tabs/fugazi_tabs.htm file. But this lead me to thinking that I might be able to create a search method for finding tabs through the program and not manually copying web addresses.
More on this later. I want to write some code.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Give us some updates on how the project is going!
ReplyDelete