Monday, September 15, 2008

While my guitar gentley weeps (acid)

Today I was writing lyrics in class, I came up with one "good" set of lines:
Our freedom, our privacy, we don't want to feel watched when we goto sleep.
Our vote, our right to see, our voice counts in this police state of need.

And I realized, that's a rap line. At least the way I say it in my head. I think I have been listening to so much doomtree that I write for hip hop beats and spoken word feel. I like that, but that's not me. I like catchy guitar riffs and cheesy alliteration. I like puns and fist pumping. I like quick sudden silence, followed by a release of anticipated tension. But how do I write for that?
That's my goal. It's like no music week, but for a genre. I'm not going to listen to hip hop. I have enough new music that I will be alright, and I realize that I don't listen to TPC enough. Like, crusades is amazing and I need to hear that like once a day. That alone might cure me.

But that's lyrics. I do love P.O.S.'s bass lines and guitar riffs. I would love to write stuff like that, and so I plan on it. I've talked with cdub about it and he would totally do spoken word over some sweet bass lines. So, I plan on doing that too. Cause this summer we will do some acoustic things around and I would lay the line and he could do his stuff. That would be so cool.
Main goal for guitar/bass is to get better. i ordered a new set of strings, three actually, and as soon as they get here, I'm planning on pracicing an hour a day. I think that if I practice scales twice for 15 minutes a day and do some writing/jamming the rest of the time, I'll see improvement in at least a month. And then I can feel good when I get a telecaster and take lessons again.

4 comments:

  1. see, at least you can write music to go along with your lyrics.

    Every now and again the mood will strike, and I'll manage to get some lyrics down on paper, but I don't know enough about how to write the music to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, another person!! I thought I was the only one who read this. Anyways, yes, I agree with everything here that relates to me. Are you going to make a "no hip hop" blog? =P I feel like that might not come out right... I finally got Doomtree from Jamie, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it. Also, you never gave me TPC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I was thinking of setting up a blog like this, seeing if I could do this too. Then I realized something: my life is not that interesting. Ok, granted, you live in Morris, MN, but your inner life is incredibly vibrant and interesting. Whereas I ... work? And do schoolwork? I dunno, I just don't really have anything interesting going on in my head.

    So congratulations, you have learned how to tell interesting stories.

    Also, my word verification is one letter from treant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be fair, the other person found this via facebook, and also goes to school in Morris :)

    ReplyDelete