Previously on This Week In Martin's Music Week At KUMM:
Nothing, because this is the first post.
This week I got some sweet CDs. First would be Tom Morello's alter ego The Nightwatchman and his new CD The Fabled City. It's quite like his last CD so if you were a fan then, you'll like this one, although I don't know if there are as many acoustic guitar amazingities as the last one, although it's been awhile.
Next is Terry Lynn's album Kingstonlogic 2.0. This isn't going to be a fovorite for everyone because of the music style, but I dug it enough to listen and then the lyrics got me. She is a girl from jamacia (if I remember right) and she is rapping about the messed up shit that is going on there. She starts it off with a very daft punk-esque song that is the title track. It's sometimes hard to hear what she is saying but that's where the lyricc sheet comes in hand. Her singing reminds me of te rapping style of what I think sean paul sounded like. The jamacian pronounciation of words. All in all, it's an interesting listen.
Deerhoof's new album offend maggie was also an interesting experience. I have a few friends that love deerhoof and so I always though of them as some generic indie band. But then I heard this album and wow, they are bizarre. The singer/bassist is japanese so she has an almost annoying high voice and will often sing japanese. This confused me as I followed the lyrics and got lost almost instantly. The band work is great and always keeps me listening, when I get weirded out by the singing.
NCM is a band I had never heard of before, but the cover of Escape From Myopia caught my eye and went into my metal pile of CDs for my housemate to listen to. Then he gave it back saying it was more rock than metal. So I gave it a listen to. It covered a few band classifications that I couldn't choose one specific one to refer to, so the RIYLs (recommended if you like) are Dead kennedys, Fugazi and the Pixies. I took pixies off because it was more a stretch than the others. But they do almost excatly what fugazi does in some songs. The slow barre slide down the neck, the repeated vocals. i dunno, everytime I go into it thinking of fugazi, they do something different, but it's still there.
The new TV on the Radio album, Dear Science, is a keeper. It is slightly different from the otehr CD I have, Return to Cookie Mountain. I'd say its vocals are less all over the place and more focused. I guess their sound is overall more defined and cleaner. But that doesn't detract form their style, which is good. They still have great vocal melodies that I wish I could sing/keep up with.
We finally got the new Doomtree album in from the gang. It's great cause it's a clean version, which makes my job so much easier. Anyways, the CD is great. It's definatley a collaboration album, with each song using a different style beat and different vocals. It's great at points when you get POS and mictlan together and then sims and dessa. There are some songs that I skip, but their just not my taste in Doomtree hip hop. All in all, it is a great album and well worth the time they put into it.
Well, I guess that's it this week. I'm going to go back a week or two and tell you about some of my past favorites.
Noah and the Whale - Peaceful, the world lays me down. I was so happy when i heard the intro to the first song, it hooked me instantly. The vocals are great and the choruses are catchy, but not too poppy. The singer doesn't have the cleanest voice, but the beautiful guitar work makes up for it. It reminds me of neutral milk hotel with the way they use some horns and otehr instruments. It's great, upbeat and is a catch.
Blitzen Trapper - Furr. The band has a great overall sound and I was a big fan. I don't remember too many specifics, but that it was a good album.
Jeremy Messersmith - The Silver City. The latest CD from the local singer songwriter didn't disappoint me after hearing his debut album over the summer. It is a concept album about the twin cities. It is very much Messersmith's style of writing. He is never too upbeat or happy, but his voice is. So even when he is singing about not following something he wants, you don't get too depresed. The guitar and vocals are great.
I guess that's it. Wow, that was fun, let's do it again sometime. How's next week for you? Sounds good, see ya there.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First off, I assumed the title was just Hawaii'an island.
ReplyDeleteSecond, I LOVE the Furr album, it was amazing.
Jeremy Messersmith and Noah and The Whales both make me soooo happy!
ReplyDeleteMost nights, when I am lying wide awake in my bed, I turn on Noah and the Whales and it never fails to help me fall asleep. Pretty sure his guitar playing is absolutely amazing!