Wednesday, September 3, 2008

To the one guy that reads this blog

So, what do I do as a Music Director? My main job is to choose the music that goes into the studio for DJs to play. This is in 3 stages. The first is getting the music, which I get lots of regularly in the mail from distributors. I can also request music from bands or labels if there is belief that it would do well on KUMM and would get airtime. The second step is reviewing the music. This is the most tedious task, I listen to 'almost' every CD that I get. I try out different parts of songs and sample most songs to get a feel of what style/genre the band is and if it is any good. If it's no good, then it goes into a bin that we sell for like a quarter a CD. If I like the sound and think it will do well, I listen to each track and write down recommended tracks, what songs have swear words in them, and what some similar bands are. Then the final step is it going into the studio with the other CD's from that week. Usually it's about 10-15 new CDs a week.
Another main responsibility of mine is to track the plays of the Cd's, I do this by having each track played recorded in a excel spreadsheet, each show has it's own spreadsheet. i combine all these files and then sort and count how many plays each Cd gets. I then sort by number of plays and report the weeks activity on the College Music Journal, CMJ. These charts show distributors what kind of music we play and so they can judge what music to send us in the future.
All in all, it is a sweet job. I get to hear a lot of music, some of which is really good.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really awesome. Pick good stuff. And remember that P.O.S.'s album is coming out this year!

    ReplyDelete