So, yesterday I bought a camera. The Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ5 in black. This is the latest version of a camera my friend Ben Corner has. His is really nice, so I went with that. It was also about $150 off of retail and so it was a good deal. However, the place I bought it from is a very confusing place, topchoicedigital.com. It's an online retail site that has a lot of stuff. So I bought it and then they called me today to verify that I wanted to buy it or whatever. And then the sales representative asks me if I know what the camera comes with. I say, kinda, I know the basics. And says, well you know the battery it comes with last only 20 to 30 minutes. Holy crap, that's not very long at all. So I say, no I did not know that. He then offers me a 120 dollar battery half off if I buy it with the camera. Hmm I smell something fishy going on here. Why would a default battery only last 20 minutes and why are they pushing this longer life battery that I know I could find cheaper from other sites, I did a lot of research into all this. So I ask if I can call back in a bit after I think about it.
I do research and take a break and call back just now. The guy goes, so do you want the 2 or 4 hour battery? And I ask how it is possible that a camera only lasts for 20 minutes. He says, and this is where I get upset because it goes against my ration thinking and the research I did, that the camera uses the same amount of battery when it's on whether it is taking pictures or not. A professional photographer will take 200 pictures in 20 minutes and so they get the most use out of said 20 minutes. I would be wasting them while not taking pictures. From my knowledge, cameras take more battery when they are taking pictures, especially if they use flashes. So he says it's 200 pictures or 20 minutes, which ever come first. Also, their site shows two batteries, a long life and an extended long life. Both under $60. And they don't say anywhere how long the life is.
So, I know some of you have cameras and would have first hand experience. How would you say your camera drains battery, by picture or by being on? because I think they were just trying to get me to buy a $60 battery.
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yup, i'd say so. while it's true professional photographers (of the photojournalism variety) blow through batteries faster than... oh dear, can't say speed of light... things like flash always play into it. i've heard more of the 200 pictures per battery life, and even then, because i don't use a flash, i can usually squeeze a little more life out of them. however, like all electronic devices, the camera still will slowly drain the battery, so technically you're supposed to remove the batteries if you won't be taking pictures for a logn time. but not twenty minutes, that's crazy.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.resellerratings.com/store/Top_Choice_Digital
ReplyDeleteMakes you nervous. Hopefully it'll work out fine.
Sounds like a classic bait-and-switch, I'd be deeply suspicious. Try checking out some websites (like Amazon.com and dpreview.com) where users and/or professional reviewers leave their comments and see if anyone raises battery issues. Seems to me that if that camera is going through that battery in 20 minutes something is severely wrong.
ReplyDeleteOther than that, sounds cool!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMy camera battery lasts a really long time. Basically most unhelpful comment ever, but I'm with Jamie.
ReplyDeleteMy mom just bought a DSLR, and it flies through batteries. Like substantially more than I was expecting.
ReplyDeleteIt uses less battery without flash, and what Jamie says about removing batteries makes sense.
I think these people are liars, and you should seriously consider buying from a more... not reputable, but more experienced seller