So I've been really busy today, it sucks. Woke up to a txt at 8, which is early when you goto bed at 2. So I'm awake and moping around, do my english homework and kinda relax. Goto classes until 2 and then the real fun starts. KUMM is great, there is nothing I would rather be more involved in on campus, but it gets hard on wednesdays. Wednesdays are the days when I'm gaurenteed to be in the station for four hours. Starting at 2:30 are my office hours, but I'm usually in there earlier if I can. I do what I gotta do. Today I reviewed Cd's. Which sounds fun and easy, but this is the hard part of reviewing. Listening to each song at least for a minute trying to find ones that are good and that represent the band's album as a whole. This can be fun, like with deerhoof or TV on the Radio, where I enjoy the music. But I also review music that might not be my favorite. So, I listen to each song, and if I'm lucky, the band tells me what songs have swear words in them. If I'm unlucky, they don't say, but have a lyrics sheet. If I'm really unlucky, they have nothing and I have to listen to each song straight through and listen for bad words. That is painful because I can't really enjoy the music if I'm focusing on it too much. But then I get past those two tasks and I have to write what bands they sound like, or Recommened If You Like's. This can be easy, like for somebands that fit a generic sound. But that is at most half the bands. I get really long stretches where I go, well, this one song kinda sounds like bob dylan, but the others don't really. It's even harder when you get music from other countries or really unique bands. I love unique bands, it's just they make life hard for me.
It is a great job, I know, but I was up till two listening to music and focusing on it at a level that takes alot of the fun and enjoyment out of it. I do have rewards, like when I find good bands out of a pile of crap. And when I get tickets to shows. And when I hear new music on the radio and recognize it and can tell you who it is. That is strangely rewarding. And I get paid, which is cool.
Oh, back to my day.
So I review music until 4, which is my radio show, "The Local Brew". It's a local music only show, Today was cool because Ben and KT sat in the station and we chatted about local music and KUM stuff. It was nice.
So after my show I kinda ran away from the station. I biked home and determined that it was too hot in my house/room. So I went to the common cup to relax and ask if I could put a poster for homeKUMMing up. This is actually where the post title comes from. I walk in and two girls get up and walk behind the counter to ask me what I want. I turn into a blundering idiot who has no idea what he wants. So I get the poster up and then I have to decide what I want to drink. I ask what she recommends for a cold drink, and she says something like almond mocha or latte. So I go "Almond?" and she goes "No,
." Since I don't know what she said I don't want to try and repeat it and make a fool out of myself. So I order the almond mocha thing with out saying the name of the drink, smooth right? Not at all, all I get is a blank stare. Then she gets it and I get a cookie to make it over $5 so I can use my card. Then I get the cookie from the one who took my order (the nice one) and the coffee from the other one (the one who I think thinks Im an idiot and a spaz) and guess what? The coffee is hot. So I can't go and complain because I guess I wasn't truely specific, but I think she just hates me. Also, probably because I didn't use the credit card tip bs, I'm going to tip in change, but they don't know it yet. So I want to tip the nice one like 75c, and the other one like a nickel. But I can't so, I'll just awkwardly walk past them and drop in 80c. I think it's sad that this is what I can blab on about easier than other things. I think I am a spaz, or maybe girls just act too cool and I make an idiot about myself. When I was a barista, I was cool and nice, and didn't make people feel awkward. At least I'm a spaz with a cool music collection.
I don't think you're a spaz. This is pretty adorable though. =P
ReplyDeletehaha, even the blog post is spastic. Common Cup, I should spend more time there...
ReplyDelete