Friday, March 27, 2009

Do I roll critical too often?

In my ethics class, we talked about different generations and more specifically how skeptic each generation is. Our teacher brought up a story about someone two generations older than us that believed the mail that said he had possibly won $5,000 and always sent in for the money. The mail looked official so he believed it. The same generation was more able to detect scams and BS from the traveling salesman type, or in person. Back then, being able to read people was a much more useful skill and I'd say everyone was probably better at it because of the more common interaction with people face to face. The next generation started using telephones and got more distant with personal relations. People who want your money commonly want to be as distant from you as possible so they can be the most believable. So, the phone generation got used to telemarketers and TV adverts. Their parents weren't necessarily used to this increase in distance and so they fell for them more.
This brings us to my generation, whatever we're called these days. We have the internet, and an extremely detached sense of communication. With spam and phishing a huge problem, we have become more and more skeptical and critical of what we take in. I know that i like to have proof of something before I truly believe it, and I try not to believe things for face value. This means I take longer in trusting things that aren't scams, but I also catch more scams. It bleeds into personal communication as I quite frequently doubt people if they can't back up their claims and although I'd say I can usually tell when someone is lying, I do believe people face to face more when they can give a little backup evidence.
There isn't really a point to this observation; just observing.

2 comments:

  1. I would argue this is better for society overall, critical thinking. It causes thought processes to happen, instead of things like "just believe me, the Iraqi's are directly related to Al Qaeda"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would argue this is not better, I have an extremely hard time identifying sincerity.

    ReplyDelete