In light of Meghan talking about wanting someone to make her a perfect mix for every week, I will (hopefully) be listing one album a week that I think fits the week. It may not fit your week, but I think it is worth giving it a true listen to.
So, to start it off, this week is In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, by Neutral Milk Hotel.
This album was written after Jeff Magnum read the diary of Anne Frank. It is a wonderful album for many reasons, but I think it fits this week because it is a very appreciative album.
I would go into more detail, but I don't want to put my interpretation over it before you listen to it. Feel free to comment about what you think, and I'll tell you what I think back. Also, if you don't have it, let me know and I'll try and get it to you somehow.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I liked it. It's still in my head. I think I've had enough exposure to it to know roughly what to expect. I think (...) may have been my favorite track, actually. It was beautiful.
ReplyDeleteIt was very folksy, at times. The simple chord progressions were never very deep in the mix, so you could always feel their comfort. It was pleasant, but the artist also deviated from it enough to keep it more so.
What do you think?
I think you need to explain more, I guess. I don't want to sound mean or whatever, but what I was looking for was more along the lines of what it made you feel. The chords were simple and folksy, but that's only a third of the music, if that. What about the lyrics? You said you're favorite track was (...), which is instrumental. Why is it your favorite?
ReplyDeleteYou really don't have to answer those questions and prompts, but that's more of what I was asking for. I want to know how it makes you feel. Because that's why I like the album, I feel for it, it makes me feel.
I guess that's the thing. It was aurally pleasurable, but I didn't feel that immediately attached to it. It didn't provoke anything, really...
ReplyDeleteI mean, the author's care comes through in the lyrics a lot, I don't mean like preciseness, I mean like emotional caring. I guess that's what struck me the most.
I feel like I'd need to spend somewhere nearer to the amount of time you've spent with it to really appreciate it on the level you are.
You don't sound mean, just disappointed.