Thursday, April 2, 2009

How far we've come...

In 2002, I built my first computer. It was close to the top of the budget PCs you could make back then. It had an AMD CPU that ran at 1.5 GHz and a 64 MB GeForce4 MX graphics card. I believe I started it out with 60 GBs of hard drive space. With the 17" CRT monitor and 512 MB RAM the total was about $800.
Now it's 2009 and I'm looking at buying a new desktop. The thing that gets me is that for a total of about $650 I can buy a computer with the following:
CPU clocked at 2.5 with ability to over clock to 3 easily
640 GB hard drive
512 MB video card (this description doesn't do it justice)
4GB RAM
A motherboard with better built in audio than I bought for $60 to upgrade my old PC
And what might be my favorite and most apparent part, a 22" LCD monitor.

I already bought the monitor because I found a deal that made it $30 cheaper than the usual sale price. But I still can't believe how much things have advanced and how apparent it is when you look back 7 years. I think I'm going to buy the PC too. I made money from KUMM this year and I know that this PC will last me in the coming years and has great upgradeable options. Oh man.

2 comments:

  1. you... you. I really want one, I've got a similar one spec'd out
    2.8GHz dual core
    1 or 2 750GB HD
    256MB Video Card
    8GB Ram
    2 17" LCD monitors

    But I have no money :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why the huge amount of RAM and HD space? What are you planning on doing with the beast? And two 17" would look sick. I'm using my laptop and the 22" in dual screen and just having my laptop's screen for my twitter feed and instant messaging, I've been more productive I think.

    ReplyDelete