Saturday, April 25, 2009

Give this album your ears: week 2

Built to Spill - Ultimate Alternative Wavers

This album defines college rock for me. It takes what I like about other college rocks bands (Hockey night, menomena, pavement, and even the pixies to some extent) and put them into an awesome collection of songs. One of my favorite things about the album is that you can almost feel like you're watching them in a recording studio jamming. The all are restless to not be doing something, whether it's making funky noises or changing the tempo. Each song progressives as they play it, and I love that. They also have three guitarists. Like, I don't know what it is about bands that have multiple guitarist who change from rhythm to lead and back, but if they can do it fluidly, then I'm just really impressed.
Then the lyrics got to me after listening to it enough, with the main one i'd pay attention to is built to spill. It kinda just makes it okay to be the way you are: "this is how you'll always feel, it's no big deal." Then, the last song is a three part instrumental spanning a rockus nine and a half minutes.

3 comments: