If we never feel overwhelmed, we never get the chance to prove ourselves.
On the drive back to morris I got very overwhelmed, I have so much to do and so little time to do it. but then I took a semi-nap and when I woke up, we were at the outskirts of Morris and Caroline Smith was playing. And i saw that it was going to be okay. I was looking at all my problems and things I have to do as a whole and it was very overwhelming, so I looked at what I have to do over time and it all spread itself out. I have a presentation tomorrow, which having met with my partner and made the slides, I feel much better about. Tuesday I have another presentation and a calc exam. The presentation should be easy peasy. The exam will require studying but I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Having been going to classes since the last exam, I feel like I've been learning to material sufficiently to get a decent grade.
And that's basically my week. I have nothing else (that I remember at this point) due until finals week. I have a group assignment with Jake that will take a grip of time, I'm sure, but I'm also really excited about it. the project were taking on is to evolve art. I'll post some of the results after, or during, we get some cool stuff. I have a take home final in bioinformatics. Another exam in calc. And I think that's it. Well, I have to preform my vocal abilities infront of the main voice teacher, hopefully I can prove I've improved. I'd definitely say I have. If not in my ability, at least in my understanding of how to sing.
There is a lot of theory in how to sing that I didn't know. I always assumed I was decent, but as I learned, it's easy to say "I'm good" to yourself and have other people think "he's bad" at the same time. I just don't care as much, but I've learned to not assume that I'm as good as I thought. And not in a "I suck" way, but in a "how could I have been that good if I've improved this much?" I have a lot of practice this week and in my future to keep my vocal abilities up. I knew practice was important, but I, for some reason, forgot that the voice is just like playing an instrument. If you don't practice, you get worse.
But I'm happy with where I am and with what the next three weeks will have in store.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've been singing so much falsetto recently, thanks to Menomena, Radiohead and Bon Iver, and my falsetto is now actually usable. It's a great feeling.
ReplyDeletespeaking of that project, we should meet soon.
ReplyDeleteOverwhelmedness for me isn't "refreshing" for me, if anything is causes more tweaking, and less productivity.