Sunday, April 5, 2009

ibrick

My ipod's right channel audio has gone. It was a sad day when it happened as it gave out over the span of a week. I felt it going as I knew the symptoms from my first mp3 player, my creative zen usb2.0. What I had to do was eventually re solder the connectors for the headphones. But I don't know how that will do with an iPod. I will be dissecting it this week though.
In leu of having my ipod, I am using my 2gb sansa clip, which is a surprisingly good for how small it is. But I am also in need of a large mp3 player for bringing all my music everywhere. So naturally I considered the ipod touches and although i am impressed with the functionality of being able to get the internet, I plan on buying a palm pre when it comes out and that would fill my wifi needs. So the next option is the newest generation of ipods, the classics. I like these a lot, as they have coverflow and a generally smarter interface, such as the ability to turn on shuffle with out going to the settings menu. Major downside to ipods are the branding. It's apple, and I don't like paying so much more for the brand. I get that with computers, your buying a lot more than the physical hardware, but for an mp3 player they have really all started to become similar and decently built. Other downside is lack of a radio. i still don't get the lack of the radio.
Then, on saturday i saw jake and chris at the common cup and sat down with them and talked about getting new tech and mp3 players and now I want something that doesn't exist. What it is is a music player that gets the music through a stream from a large music source.
----kay so I stopped here and it sat as a draft for a while------

Okay, so I just found this of digg: http://digg.com/d1oRSs
It's a (possibly) new zune that I'm guessing competes with the ipod touch. This is very exciting, because if microsoft doesn't screw this up, this could be great. If they really want to one up the touch, they would make it with everything apple doesn't like users to have, like more control. Figuring that more app stores are parting from apple and allowing in functions that users want, I can easily see microsoft taking this route to steal apple's users.
but if they have a functional music player that has wifi and the capability to have apps that have a good amount of control, wireless syncing to a server would be possible. Sandisk had a device that was paired with yahoo's old music service. It had the capability to connect to the yahoo servers and you could choose what you wanted to have on your device. you also could listen to radio and tag things and download them later. the current zune has this, but you have to buy the songs though the zune's marketplace. I'm just really excited for it and i will feel less bad about buying something later on when it might be released.

3 comments:

  1. That's what happened to my first ipod. It was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As cliche as it is to bash Microsoft, I don't seem them giving that level of control to their users. They've been trying for years to get decent marketshare in the mp3 player market, and while the Zune has been mildly successful, it doesn't seem to hold water to the iPod.

    Ideally? I'd be looking for something iPod Touchish device with large amounts of storage space, that acts as a mass storage device, so I don't need special software, OR an iPod Touchish device that would allow OTA sync from anywhere (with my computer). I don't wanna have to pay money for a subscription service, and I don't wanna be locked into DRM.

    First company to offer something like this has my money. For now, I'll stick to either iPod Touch, or perhaps upgrade to iPod Classic for more storage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a side note to Jake's comment, iTunes music store downloads are now drm-free.

    ReplyDelete