I like standards. I like things to have a format, the type that makes things easier. What I'm talking about now is music. I have a lot of music and it is all somewhat organized. I went through it all with a program called easytag that rewrites all the file names and even the folder tree to a set way. But sometimes the ID tags of the files are missing or just goofy. I got new music and some of the album names wound up as the artist, rendering it useless to me basically.
And I had a conversation with Colin about quality difference and I started thinking about what format I want my music in. Right now it's all organized in mp3s because that's what easytag can read. So I went through with a script that finds all the m4a files and converts them to mp3. But this loses a lot of quality. Like, a lot.
The best option for quality and functionality is basically FLAC. It's a free codec that is lossless, so it's super high quality. Higher than you can probably hear. Problem is, file sizes are also large, and can be 3 times as large as their mp3 counterparts. This means 3 times less music when putting them on a portable device, which is sad. On my computer I don't notice because storage is so cheap, but on my 2gb mp3 player I definitely notice.
I also don't remember what quality I have been using for years to rip Cds, probably the fastest as it takes about 15-20 minutes to rip a CD in FLAC. That's just a long time to rip a CD I feel and I get most of my music from the KUMM station and time is limited to about 1.5 hours of ripping. That means I can only get about 4-5 Cds ripped during a show. But that is the only place I can get CDs of a lot of music for free. The internet is another option, as a lot of music torrents are in FLAC, but then I run into file name issues again and I get frusterated again.
So, the plan as of right now is just to rip the music I own into FLAC and try and get my favorites into FLAC and enjoy them.
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My issue with formats like FLAC and OGG and other 'obscure' lossless formats is the lack of portable player support. Almost nothing you buy can play these formats, save for the things by Cowon, and even then it's only a couple of them. iRiver used to support OGG, but moved away from supporting it when they started supporting the Windows Media subscription services.
ReplyDeleteLucky that I use a sandisk sansa then. It supports MP3, OGG, FLAC, and secure WMA.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.sansa.com/players/sansa_clip/tech
After I found that out, thats when I chose to use FLAC. My ipods broken and so I use it all the time anyways.